It may seem like you are owned by your debts, almost as if your credit card debt owns you. However, this simply isn’t true. There are some very serious ways to get out from under your credit card debt and other forms of unsecured debt. They involve sacrifice and discipline, but if you’re determined, you can overcome your debts and live a financially secure life, free from collection agency phone calls.
Here are some simple tips you can follow that will help you get free from your debt problems, and have a financially secure future.
1. Cut up your credit cards. You can keep some for emergencies, but odds are if you have thousands of dollars in credit card debt, you have a problem using them responsibly. Don’t feel ashamed about this, just acknowledge that you need to put them away, at least for a couple of years, and focus on living within your means instead of trying to “keep up with the joneses.” You may even want to give your emergency card to a good friend or family member, someone you know you can trust, so that you have to go through someone in order to get that card back.
2. Cancel all your credit lines. If you have a personal loan or another line of financing, you’re probably paying seriously interest as well as abusing this line of credit. You need to take a step back, work to pay off your debt and once you can do this your improved credit score will allow you to get a better interest rate on any future loans or lines of credit.
3. Request lower interest rates on debt. Contacting your credit cards, your personal loan lenders and other lines of credit to renegotiate your interest rates could save you a bundle.
4. Transfer as much debt as possible to the credit card that has the lowest interest rate. This may save you thousands of dollars over the next few years and work as a mild form of debt consolidation.
5. Use cash. After going through your debt and assessing your debt problems, it’s time to begin using cash for all of your purchases. This means living within your means, ignoring any credit cards in your wallet and sacrificing in order to cure your debt problems.
6. Commit to paying off your debts in whatever way works. Debt settlement companies are a great resource for the many ways in which you can pay off debt. You may choose to pay your debts off one at a time, save up money and settle or some other option. At the very least, you should contact a qualified debt settlement company to get some feedback as to your options.
7. Contact a quality debt settlement company. If you’re buried under unsecured debt such as credit cards, medical bills and personal loans, you need a quality debt settlement company to help you with your debt problems. Debt settlement companies have helped millions of people deal with their debt problems by helping them negotiate their credit card debts. Debt settlement companies can help you pay off your debts quicker and for less than you actually owe.