Check out these second mortgage images:
Victor Harbor Railway Station erected 1926. Now only used by Steamranger tourist trains. Original station was wooden and set up in 1886.
Image by denisbin
Early Victor Harbor.
Despite the early settlement at Yilki and the favourable agricultural reports and flow of two rivers into the sea at Victor no town emerged quickly. Two early selectors Blundell and Lindsay subdivided some of their land to create a private town in 1839 but no sales were recorded. By the early 1850s there were more farmers in the district. Grain was carted in from outlying farms to the new wharf at The Bluff from 1854. A licensed inn, the Fountain Inn had opened in 1850 and a small flourmill was operating. When the District Council was formed in 1853 it was centred at Yilki. The town of Victor emerged around 1862 with the first school opening in 1861 and the first Victor Harbor jetty in 1863. The town was not officially surveyed and gazetted until 1863 when L Hyndman did a new survey. The first hotel, the Hotel Victor opened in 1863 and a horse tramway to Port Elliot opened in 1864. The first bank opened in 1865 and the first general store and Post Office and Telegraph Station in 1866. Next came the churches with the Congregational Church and the Anglican Churches being erected in 1869. By 1870 the town was well established with the commercial centre near where the railway station was started in 1867. The causeway and horse drawn tram to Granite Island opened for tourists and summer holidaymakers in 1895. The steam trains and railway line reached Victor from Adelaide in 1883.
Victor Harbor Mount Breckan.
Mount Breckan mansion is a reminder of the opulence available to successful SA businessmen in the late 19th century. It was built between 1879 and 1881 for Alexander Hay a wealthy Scottish businessman on his 160-acre grazing property at Victor. The mansion was designed by renowned SA Scottish architect William McMinn who designed a Scottish baronial mansion of 19,000 square feet at a cost of over £25,000. This was to be the summer residence only of Alexander Hay and his family on a site looking down upon the town of Victor. The five-storey tower ensured everyone in Victor had to look up to the house which has had a chequered history. It was partially destroyed by fire in 1909 and parts were rebuilt and decorated in Art Nouveau style around 1913 after the deaths of Hay and his wife. The property was acquired by W Connell, at one stage Mayor of Victor, who added rooms and turned it into a high-class guesthouse with 38 rooms up from the original 22 rooms. At that time most of the surrounding land was sold off for housing blocks. During World War Two (1940) the Commonwealth government purchased the house as an Air Force Training Centre. Later it was used as a rehabilitation hospital until the government sold it in 1962. It then became a theological college (1962-1978) and later holiday flats. In 1996 it was purchased by the Baron and Baroness Ballintober of Ireland who restored this grand mansion and operated it is a convention facility. The property was sold in 2007 and then a forced mortgage sale was held in 2009. Current owners are trying to have new development plans for 39 house sites accepted by the local Victor council. Mt Breckan has heritage listing and will remain largely untouched but it will be surrounded by housing!
The builder of Mt Breckan Alexander Hay is a noteworthy gentleman. He arrived in SA as a labourer for the SA Company in 1839. Two years later he purchased his own small farm at Gumeracha. He soon expanded his land holdings and became a major SA pastoralist. His first leasehold run was at Barabba near Hamley Bridge. He then purchased a run near Morgan which he kept till his death in 1898. He also held interests in runs in NSW and QLD along the Darling and Paroo Rivers. His other business interests including trading, the AMP Society, the Bank of Adelaide, the SA Gas Company etc. He served in the SA parliament with a few interruptions between 1857 and 1890. There he was a champion of the 1875 Free, Secular and Compulsory Education Act. He was President of the YMCA and Chief of the Royal Caledonian Society. His grand home Linden Park later gave name to an Adelaide suburb after it was demolished. His second wife was Agnes Gosse whose father Dr William Gosse had explored and named parts of the MacDonnell Ranges near Alice Springs. The Gosse family had their own summer residence at Victor called Nangawooka in Hindmarsh Valley. Agnes Gosse Hay was an author and published several books as did her son William Gosse Hay. They Gosse families and Hay families intermarried several times across several generations and they are relatives of the Downer family. Alexander Downer’s mother was Mary Gosse. The gatehouse of Mt Breckan is called the Lodge and sits on the corner of the Main Road and Renown Avenue. Look for it.
Victor Harbor Adare.
The other grand mansion built in Victor was Adare, the summer home and eventual main residence of Daniel Cudmore. But this grand Victorian fanciful house with leadlight windows, towers and turrets, bay windows and towers began life as a simple cottage which was dramatically added to in 1892-93. The origins of Adare go back to the foundation of SA. Governor Hindmarsh asked for a survey to be made at Victor in January 1837 just days after the proclamation of SA. He then started making moves to have the capital sited there and not at William Light’s choice of Adelaide on the Torrens River. Hindmarsh persisted and reacted favourably to reports of the Victor area from Captain Lipson in November 1837 and Captain Hart in 1838. In June 1838 Governor Hindmarsh declared a port and town at Victor. The local river here was named Hindmarsh after the Governor. In July the Colonial Office notified Hindmarsh of termination of his governorship to resolve the issues between himself and Colonel Light about the location of the capital. Hindmarsh was an autocratic man who looked down upon the “lower orders” and spoke rudely to many. He sailed for England in July 1837 but left his wife and children in Adelaide to manage his affairs here. Mrs Hindmarsh did not return to England until 1841 with a large amount of money. Governor Gawler arrived in October 1838 replacing Hindmarsh but Hindmarsh was kept informed of SA progress and he purchased extensive land in April 1839 near the Bluff and along the Hindmarsh River, hence the locality of Hindmarsh Valley. Mrs Hindmarsh married one of their daughters to Captain Ellis the wealthy pastoralist of Buckland Park and later the Hummocks run and the other daughter to George Stephen a local lawyer. Son John (born 1820) kept some of the land but much of it was sold off enabling Mrs Hindmarsh to return to England in 1841 with £12,000. Mrs Hindmarsh built a summer cottage on the property in 1839 and she may have lived in it until 1841. That cottage has since disappeared. John Hindmarsh Junior, aged 21 years, returned to England with his mother in 1841 but he later returned to live in SA from 1855 when he was 36 years of age. He first of all lived at Port Elliot until he built a new house on the Hindmarsh River property in 1863. It is now the rear part of Adare House marked by its different architectural style. In 1858 young John Hindmarsh sued the government for £48,000 for building a wharf on his land at Encounter Bay without permission but he only received £2,000 in compensation. John Junior served as a local lawyer and Justice of the Peace at Port Elliot and at Victor. He also had land at Port Adelaide which his father had acquired in 1838. (Governor Hindmarsh was a great land speculator.) Late in life in 1878 John Hindmarsh moved to Napier in New Zealand and his descendants reside in New Zealand. One of his sons was the founding President of the WEA in Wellington! The Hindmarsh River property of John Hindmarsh Junior was called Mootaparinga Farm and it was taken over by Hindmarsh’s sister, Mrs Evans in 1878. She lived there till she died in 1881. Mootaparinga was then sold to Mr Hart in 1881(he ran the Crown Hotel) who in turn sold it to Daniel Cudmore in 1891.
Daniel Cudmore had Adare House erected in 1892 from a design by Macclesfield architect Frederick Dancker who designed a number of well-known SA buildings such as the old Queen Victoria Maternity Hospital, Macclesfield Institute etc. Daniel Cudmore with his brother James ran one of the great pastoral partnerships in SA. The partnership began with Yongala station and Paringa on the Murray but once the brothers went their separate ways Daniel ran Avoca on the Darling near Wentworth and Popiltah and Boondoon in Queensland. He also had a 3,000 acre sugar plantation using Kanaka labourers along the Herbert River near Ingham in QLD. He gave the name of McCracken to the rest of his land as it was the maiden name of his second wife Martha whom he married in 1882. Cudmore financially supported the Anglican Church at Wentworth and was a local magistrate there. He retired to Adare when it was completed in 1893 and he died there in 1913. He had six sons and one daughter. One son, Paul Cudmore remained at Victor Harbor being the town Mayor, a Liberal politician for the district and a local sportsman. He died in Victor in 1969. But he did not live at Adare as his mother lived there until 1938 and then the house was sold to Mr Humphris in 1942. This grand house was then sold to the Methodist Church as a camp and conference centre in 1954 and it remains the property of the Uniting Church.
Stop your AG’s sellout to banks
Image by DonkeyHotey
While the government is coordinating a militarized response to put down Occupy Wall Street your state Attorney General may be conspiring to let the banks of the hook for breaking the law and stealing the pension funds of the 99%. The 7.7 trillion dollar Bank Bailouts of TARP and the FED in 2008 were the first two legs of the bailout stool. This awful Obama/State AG’s get-out-of-jail-free-card is the third leg of the bailout stool. The banks are rewarded for breaking the law and wrecking the economy while the little guy is being sent to privatised prisons for minor offences.
Here are some articles that explain what is happening:The Next Big Bank Bailout by Matt Taibbi in Rolling Stone
Foreclosure Settlement: States, Banks Near Deal On Major Sticking Point from Reuters on The Huffington Post
A Deal That Wouldn’t Sting by Gretchen Morgenson in The New Your Times
Call your Attorney General today and tell them to drop out of this bad Bank Settlement. The Consumerist has the number.
Image from page 201 of “New York Nursery and Child’s Hospital Annual Report” (1910)
Image by Internet Archive Book Images
Title: New York Nursery and Child’s Hospital Annual Report
Year: 1910 (1910s)
Authors: New York Nursery and Child’s Hospital
Subjects: New York Nursery and Child’s Hospital Maternal health services Child health services Charities, Medical–New York (State)–New York Foundlings care Child care
Publisher: New York Nursery and Child’s Hospital
Contributing Library: NewYork-Presbyterian/Weill Cornell Medical Center, Samuel J. Wood Library
Digitizing Sponsor: Metropolitan New York Library Council – METRO
View Book Page: Book Viewer
About This Book: Catalog Entry
View All Images: All Images From Book
Click here to view book online to see this illustration in context in a browseable online version of this book.
Text Appearing Before Image:
-continuedcontroversy relative to our rights in the Lexington Avenue property, andthat this decision will be favorable to our claim. The Treasurers Report annexed further emphasizes the necessityof having one institution rather than two. I would draw your attention to the fact that the Building Fundamounts to about ,000, and would recommend that it be transferredfrom the banking house where it is now deposited, at a low rate of in-terest, and that certain of the mortgages held by the hospital be trans-ferred to the Trustees. The cash will thus be available for generalexpenses; and the Trustees amply protected. As the reports from the various officers and committees herewithattached give full information regarding the operations of the currentyear, there would seem to be no necessity of repeating them here. Thestatements in them as well as the interesting and intelligent work notedin the reports show with what energy, ability and faithfulness all havelabored during the past year. 12
Text Appearing After Image:
It is to be also noted that the various committees, as shown by theirreports, have received much assistance from certain associations in-directly connected with our work, as well as from many enthusiasticmembers. The labor incident to the Charity Ball was well done, render-ing it a complete success. Your President feels assured that we are about to enter upon a newand enlarged field of usefulness. He recognizes the fact that the firstyears of a combination between two separate bodies are ones of stress,during which it is difficult to do ample justice to the traditions of thepast and yet fulfill the aims of the future. The work of a charitable hospital may be divided into three parts: 1. That similar to any other corporation, namely: the question offinance. This phase has been necessarily prominent during the pasttwo years. If however, we come to an agreement with the city, we willthen be in a position to view more clearly the broader principles whichshould shape the policy of all char
Note About Images
Please note that these images are extracted from scanned page images that may have been digitally enhanced for readability – coloration and appearance of these illustrations may not perfectly resemble the original work.